SHIMANO ULTEGRA - HOLLOWTECH II - Road Crankset - 2x11-speed
The all-new SHIMANO ULTEGRA R8000 series crank features lightweight crankarms, a hollow outer chainring, and a wider gear pitch for increased clearance on modern road frames. It is available with 53-39, 52-36, 50-34, and 46-36T chainrings and 165, 170, 172.5, and 175mm crank arm lengths.
- Lightweight crankarm design optimized for power-transfer efficiency
- Minimal weight without sacrificing stiffness
- HOLLOWTECH II
- Rider-tuned gear performance through various gear combinations
- Redesigned FC for greater frame compatibility
- Wider gear pitch increases clearance between chain and leading teeth, providing compatibility with frames of O.L.D. 135 mm and 410 mm chainstay length
- Silky driving, accurate shifting
- HG-X11 directional chain realize more smoother shifts and greater overall performance.
- Right and left sides are optimized for front and rear shifting respectively.
Providing the best balance of stiffness, strength, weight and rotating performance
The concept of HOLLOWTECH II technology is focused on producing a superior crankset which will maximize a rider’s power transfer. The rigidity of the crankset ensures pedaling efficiency while its weight, a key element of the crankset, you want light, aids in cycling longer distances over which the rider needs to pedal more. Naturally, SHIMANO strove for the optimum balance between the conflicting needs of stiffness while producing a lightweight crank. HOLLOWTECH technology is an ultra-lightweight hollow crankarm created by SHIMANO with the company’s own proprietary forging technology that also maintains rigidity. The addition of HOLLOWTECH II technology integrates the bottom bracket axle with the right crankarm for more stiffness and a weight savings to achieve a high-dimensional balance. Its outboard bottom bracket bearing system provides better weight distribution and more pedaling stability, allowing for more efficient power transfer.
The HOLLOWTECH II crankset has been developed by pursuing the optimum balance of stiffness & rotating performance in a lightweight and beautiful crankset design.
High Precision Sealing
Moreover, HOLLOWTECH II crankset has a high-precision sealing in the bearing area to increase durability maintaining the excellent rotating performance for long periods.
24mm Diameter Axle And Bearings
Why choose the 24mm axle and bearings for the HOLLOWTECH II crankset?
The diameter of the Bottom Bracket axle and bearings was of primary importance for the development because the Bottom Bracket axle area is tied to such key elements as stiffness, strength, weight and rotating performance.
What’s important is the total balance of crankset
In addition, taking the crankset as a whole, the total balance of crankarm rigidity, axle stiffness, bearing position and others is essential.
Indeed, the crankset is designed by careful consideration of the total balance of those elements to prevent breakage.
For most frames with 68mm Bottom Bracket shells, HOLLOWTECH II with 24mm axle can set the bearing position outside of the frame to provide better weight distribution and more stability.
24mm Diameter Axle And Bearings Provide Optimum Balance For The Crankset
After studying all these problems thoroughly, we made the decision to adopt the 24mm diameter axle and bearings, which have the optimum balance, for the HOLLOWTECH II crankset.
In addition, an examination of the total crankset, including the crankarm and gears, proves the optimum balance of rigidity, weight and rotating performance for the ultimate transfer of power to your bike. HOLLOWTECH II is simply the most optimized crankset design on the market.
HG-EV cassette is for rider-tuned gear combination & cadence management. We provide optimal 11-speed drivetrain gear ratio; you can choice wider and closer gear combination available to match various riding disciplines. HG-EV cassette is obtained 11-speed gear without compromising the 10-speed durability and improved HYPERGLIDE shifting.
- Hollow technology on outer chainring
- High rigidity hollow structure cuts down on weight yet maintains strength. Better power transfer and quicker and more precise front shifting
Hollow Forged Crank Arms
- A lightweight crankset not only reduces the bike’s weight, but decreases rotating mass to aid in acceleration.
- The challenge is to reduce the weight of the crank without reducing its strength and rigidity.
- SHIMANO’s advanced forging technology has solved the problem through the Hollowtech crank.
- Just like high quality frame tubing, a hollow crank arm can provide amazing strength and rigidity at very lightweight.
|Series||ULTEGRA R8000 Series|
|Average Weight||681 (52-36T)|
|Compatible Chain||Linkglide, HG 11-speed|
|Chain Line (mm)||43.5|
|P.C.D. left / right (mm)||110|
|Chainring Combination||46-36T 50-34T 52-36T 53-39T|
|Crank Arm Length (mm)||165, 170, 172.5, 175|
|Optional Chain Guard|Without Chain/Bash Guard||Yes|
|Hollowtech Crank Arm||Yes|
|Hollowglide||X - (46-36T)|
|Compatible Bottom Bracket Type|Outboard||Yes|
|Recommended Bottom Bracket|Threaded (Normal)||SM-BBR60|
|Recommended Bottom Bracket|Press-Fit||SM-BB72-41B|
|Threaded Bottom Bracket Shell Width (mm)||68, 70|
|Crank Fixing Screw Included||Yes|